Post 5969 became reality in February 1946, when Jim Shea and Toby Dahl acquired a charter from the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States of America. Tobay Dahl was the first Commander in the old City Building. When it burned down, the club was moved to main street.
The current location on Pine Street was moved into in 1964. Remodeling was done to a building that had been a car dealership and home to several grocery stores, to accomodate Post functions. In 1994 the facade was restored to original appearance with assistance from post members and Deadwood Historical Preservation.